Corowa - Wahgunyah Who's Who
Distinguished and Famous people from Corowa - Wahgunyah
Corowa-Wahgunyah is a small region located on the border of Victoria and New South Wales in Australia. Despite being small, this region has produced some of the most distinguished and famous people in the country. It has produced not only popular sportsmen and women but also politicians, actors, and businesspeople. Let us have a look at some of these renowned people from the Corowa-Wahgunyah region.
1) Samuel McCaughey - Samuel McCaughey was an Australian businessman, pastoralist, and philanthropist born in 1835 in County Tyrone, Ireland. He migrated to Australia and settled in Corowa-Wahgunyah, where he owned several sheep stations. He was one of the largest pastoralists in Australia and became the first person to earn a million pounds in the country. Samuel was also a philanthropist who donated generously to various charitable organizations.
2) Bob Skilton - Bob Skilton is a former Australian rules footballer who was born in 1938 in Wahgunyah. He played a total of 237 games for the South Melbourne Football Club and won three Brownlow Medals, which is the highest individual award in Australian football. In 2002, he was named as one of the AFL's 125 greatest players of all time.
3) Bill Brown - Bill Brown was an Australian cricketer who was born in 1912 in Corowa. He played 22 Test matches for Australia and scored 1,706 runs at an average of 46.82. He was a part of the Australian team that won the 1948 Ashes series in England. Bill Brown is regarded as one of the finest opening batsmen Australia has ever produced.
4) Gary Ayres - Gary Ayres is a former Australian rules footballer who was born in 1961 in Corowa. He played 269 games for the Hawthorn Football Club and won five premierships with the club. After he retired from playing, he went on to become a successful coach and led the Geelong Football Club to two premierships. He is regarded as one of the best defenders the game has ever seen.
5) Natalie Imbruglia - Natalie Imbruglia is an Australian singer, songwriter, and actress who was born in 1975 in Sydney but grew up in Wahgunyah. She is best known for her hit single "Torn," which was released in 1997 and became a worldwide hit. She has sold over 10 million records worldwide and has won several awards for her music.
6) John Forrest - John Forrest is an Australian politician who was born in 1847 in Bunbury, Western Australia, but spent his early years in Yarrawonga before moving to Corowa. He was a member of the Western Australian Legislative Assembly and served as the Premier of Western Australia for several terms. He is widely regarded as one of the greatest politicians the country has ever produced.
7) Grace Cossington Smith - Grace Cossington Smith was an Australian artist who was born in 1892 in Neutral Bay, New South Wales, but spent most of her life in Wahgunyah. She is best known for her paintings that depict the Australian landscape and people. Her works have been exhibited in several galleries around the world, and she is regarded as one of Australia's most important artists.
Corowa-Wahgunyah is a region that has produced some of the most distinguished and famous people in Australia. From businessmen to sportspeople, actors to politicians, the region has contributed significantly to the country's growth and progress. These people have left a lasting legacy, and their achievements will continue to inspire generations to come.